J. Devin McAuley is a Professor in the Department of Psychology, Director of the MSU Cognitive Science Program and a member of the Neuroscience Program. He completed his undergraduate and graduate studies at Indiana University, receiving a B.A. in Mathematics and Computer Science, a M.S. in Computer Science, and a joint Ph.D. in Computer Science and Cognitive Science. He then went on to complete postdoctoral studies in Psychology at the University of Queensland and the Ohio State University where he was a Music Cognition Postdoctoral Fellow. Before joining the MSU faculty in 2009, Devin was a faculty member in the Department of Psychology at Bowling Green State University. Dr. McAuley’s research interests include auditory perception, attention, and memory, music cognition, cross-modal processing, timing and temporal control of behavior, and relationships between music and language processing.
Leigh VanHandel is Associate Professor of Music Theory and has a courtesy appointment in the Cognitive Science program. Her research areas focus on music cognition with an emphasis on rhythm, meter, and tempo. She’s currently working on the Tempo Project, which is studying what musical cues influence our perception and determination of tempo. In her spare time, she officiates roller derby and plays bass guitar in a rock band.
Carolyn Kroger, (“Carrie”), is a third year graduate student in the Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience program in the MSU Psychology Department. She graduated in 2015 from the University of Arkansas with a B.A. in Psychology. She worked as an RA in the University of Arkansas Music Cognition Lab from 2014-2016, where she conducted research on the role of verbal descriptions in music listening experiences. She is currently pursuing research on rhythm perception in atypical language development as well as mechanisms of timing in motor synchronization.
Kyriaki Gkoudina is a Ph.D. Student in Composition, at the Michigan State university. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in Film Studies in Aristotle’s University of Thessaloniki (2015) with specialization in Film Music, while studying Harmony (3 years) and Counterpoint of the 16th Century and Baroque (2 years) in a private conservatory. She has directed various short films and a documentary that was successfully projected in the 18th International Thessaloniki Documentary Festival at 2014. Furthermore, she has composed music for plays and performed live on stage, as well as for films and documentaries. Finally, she has sound designed interactive performances and films.
Audrey Drotos is a senior in Lyman Briggs College studying Neuroscience with an additional major the College of Music where she plays the cello. She is interested in investigating how hidden hearing loss relates to speech understanding in noise, especially in musicians. She is also working on a collaboration through the college of music looking at how melodic factors affect tempo determination tasks. She hopes to pursue graduate school for a Ph.D. in Neuroscience after undergrad and continue research in the field of Neuroscience.
Kelly Russell is a junior studying Neuroscience and Psychology. She has previously worked on the SpIN project, and is currently working under a Dean’s Assistantship investigating rhythm processing deficits in adults who stutter, particularly with slower rhythms. Kelly plans to attend medical school after undergrad and work in psychiatry.
Sarah Dec is a senior studying Psychology. She has worked on a variety of projects in the lab and is currently researching the perception of speech in noise. With a plan to obtain a master’s degree in Human Resources and Organizational Psychology, Sarah hopes to integrate her social science passions into a successful career in human resource management.
Paul Clancy is a sophomore from South Lyon, MI pursuing a major n Neuroscience. After receiving his undergraduate degree, he hopes to attend medical school. This year he is working on the SPiN project, which deals with people’s perceptions of speech even when under a background stimulus. He is also Vice President of Tower Guard, as well involved in the AMSA and Snowboard Clubs at school.
Shubhangi Sharma is a Sophomore from Gurnee, Illinois who is studying Genomics and Molecular Genetics. She is currently involved with the Rhythm and Language project in order to study the effect of prosody on language.
Becca Vroegop is a sophomore from Stevensville, Michigan pursuing a double major in Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Science and Psychology with a minor in Cognitive Science. She is presently involved in the Tempo Determination project studying what musical factors determine what speed a piece of music should be played at.
Gabby Kindig is a second year student pursuing degrees in psychology and political science, with minors in Spanish and Leadership of Organizations. She’s currently involved with the Narrative Listening project, which examines the meaning of music, and explores the factors which influence whether or not people hear storylines in pieces of instrumental music. In her spare time she enjoys writing, dancing, and making music.
Anusha Mamidipaka is a freshman at MSU currently studying neuroscience. After she graduates, she hopes to attend medical school. She is involved in the Pre-Medical Association and the Red Cedar Review on campus, and in her free time, she enjoys painting, exploring campus, and hanging out with her friends.
Katie Edwards is a senior studying Psychology and Comparative Cultures & Politics, with a minor in Cognitive Science. She has worked in many labs and is building on her past research looking into metaphoric influence on musician movement by starting the Narrative Listening Project with the TAP lab, which will look at whether people hear a narrative storyline when listening to a piece of music. She hopes to get a PhD in Clinical Psychology to practice and research as a Clinical Neuropsychologist.
Alison Eberle is a sophomore from Romeo, Michigan majoring in Linguistics with a minor in German. She is currently involved with the Tempo project, investigating the effects of different musical factors on perceived tempo.
- Zach Hambrick, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Melissa Allman, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Jason Moser, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Leigh VanHandel, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Juli Wade, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Mara Breen, Ph.D., Mount Holyoke College
- Tonya Bergeson-Dana, Ph.D., Indiana University Medical School
- Laura Carlson, Ph.D., University of Notre Dame
- Fred Cummins, Ph.D., University College Dublin
- Ted Gibson, Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Jessica Grahn, Ph.D., the University of Western Ontario
- Andrea R. Halpern, Ph.D., Bucknell University
- Molly, Henry, Ph.D., University of Western Ontario
- Mari Riess Jones, Ph.D., Ohio State University
- Bob Ladd, Ph.D., University of Edinburgh
- Kathrin Lange, Ph.D., Heinrich Heine Universitat
- Nathaniel Miller, Ph.D., University of Michigan
- Thierry Nazzi, Ph.D., Universite Paris Descartes
- Kevin Pang, Ph.D., New Jersey Medical School
- Mark Pitt, Ph.D., Ohio State University
- Lisa Sanders, Ph.D., University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Rick Servatius, Ph.D., New Jersey Medical School
- Stefanie Shattuck-Hufnagel, Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Joel Snyder, Ph.D., University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Soo-Eun Chang, Ph.D., University of Michigan
- Tim Pleskac, Ph.D., Max Planck Institute for Human Development
- Tuuli Morrill, Ph.D., George Mason University
- Gary Kidd, Ph.D., Indiana University
Michigan State University
- Elizabeth Wieland
- Marilyn Zahrt, 2019
- Stacey Rowland, 2017
- Alyssa Cleland, 2017
- Klea Doko, 2017
- Vixey Silva, 2017
- Lauren J. Amick, M.A., 2017
- Elisa K. Fromboluti, Ph.D., 2016
- Courtney Cox, 2016
- Audrianna St. Germain, 2016
- Sara Dziubek, 2015
- Monique Daignault, 2015
- Jayson Winsor, 2015
- Katherine Jones, M.S., 2015
- Emily LaPlante, 2015
- Joshua Lucksom, 2014
- Bradley Seegert, 2014
- Joshua Linkowski, 2014
- Joshua Hamilton, 2014
- Katie Centurione, 2014
- Karli Nave, B.S., 2014
- Jon Walters, B.S., 2014
- Trisha Zdziarska, B.S., 2014
- Breanna Borg, 2014
- Abid Ahmad, 2014
- Neelima Wagley, B.S., 2013
- Brad Perry, B.S., 2013
- Prashanth Rajarajan, B.S., 2013
- Ashley Elliston, 2013
- Ben Mastay, 2012
- Alan Wedd, M.S., 2012
- Ben Syzek, 2012
- Jessica Wallace, 2012
- Krista Bur, B.A., 2012
- Patrick Engler, B.A., 2012
- Erica Koelzer, B.A., 2012
- Liza Kustantin, 2011
- Amelia Wiggins, B.S., 2011
- Lauren Zielinski, B.S. 2011
- Brian Spyke, B.S., 2010
Bowling Green State University
- Elina Banzina, Ph.D., 2012
- Thomas J. Donahue, 2011
- Amanda Stewart, 2011
- Molly Henry, Ph.D., 2011
- Alyssa Cain, 2010
- Jennifer Vogt, B.S., 2010
- Nathan Miller, Ph.D., 2010
- Tracey Raybourn, M.A., 2010
- Samantha Tuft, B.A., 2010
- Louis Vinke, M.A., 2010
- Brian Grushcow, B.A., 2009
- Nicholas Steuver, B.S., 2009
- Marta Zaleha, B.A., 2007
- Steven Borawski, M.A., 2006
- Laren Conklin, B.S., 2006
- Deborah Frater, B.S., 2006
- Allison Skinner, B.S., 2006
- Jonathan P. Miller, Ph.D., 2005
- Chris Ayala, M.A., 2004
- Josie Bostleman, B.S.
- Lori Curtindale, M.A., 2007
- Laura Fuhr, B.S.
- Laura Krauss, B.S.
- Ann Mary Mercier, M.A., 2007
- Kelly Miller, B.S.
- Chris Trimmer, B.S.
- Kelly Rider
- Jacqueline Toft